Monday, October 6, 2008

Short Story

I wrote a short story in Creative Writing exploratory last year. I called it "Jack, Jill, and their Date on the Hill". Enjoy!

You’ve heard the story of Jack and Jill right? Well, technically it’s like some sort of nursery rhyme, Jack and Jill went up the hill. Did you know the story of Jack and Jill, DATING on the hill? This is a great story of Jack and Jill’s twins… from another world just like ours.

Jack met Jill on a sunny afternoon. Or should I say Prince Jack met Maiden Jill. Once Jill saw Prince Jack she fell madly in love with him. He saw her, and… well… no sparks. But Jill didn’t really know that. So Jill asked Jack out for a lovely picnic on a nearby hill. He really didn’t want to go, but he thought he’d be nice. After all, he didn’t even know Jill. For all he knows, she could be the most amazing person he’s ever met.

“I would absolutely LOVE to go on a picnic with you.” Jack told Jill.

“YES! I will get everything ready! Meet me on the hill tomorrow at noon.” Jill said excitedly.

Jill:

I can’t believe I’m going on a date with a PRINCE! I thought excitedly, getting together all the food for our picnic. I kept thinking: Maybe he’ll fall in love with me, and we’ll get married. I’m going to have to order some of those bridal catalogs!

Uh oh! I thought. It’s almost noon! I’m going to be late! I hurried out the door, making sure I was on time for my date with the prince.

Jack:

Ok, let’s see. I was talking to myself, with a check-list in hand. Napkin, check. Sunglasses, check. Blindfold, (just in case I need it) check. Pale for water, check. All set!

. . .

So Jack and Jill met on the hill. Jill brought a wonderful meal in a basket, a beautiful picnic blanket, sunscreen, and everything else she could possibly need. Jack brought, well, everything on his check-list.

“I’m so glad you agreed to come here with me Jack.” Jill said, blushing.

“Mmhmm….” Jack said, not really paying attention. Jack was bored out of his mind! What did this girl talk about besides how happy she was he was there? Not only that, but she kept looking at that crown on his head. He could tell by the look on her face that she wanted one… which meant she wanted to be his queen!!!

The thought sent Jack screaming in his head! Jill was… nice… but not THAT way. Time for plan B. Jack thought, blindfold in hand.

“Hey Jill?” Jack asked, blindfold behind his back.

“Yes Jack dear?” Jill answered, eyelashes fluttering. Wow, Jack thought, I better act fast.

“I have a surprise for you, but you can’t look.” Jack started explaining, pulling out the blindfold. “So I need to blindfold you.”

“Okay Jack, but be quick! I’m not patient!” Jill said.

Jack put on the blindfold, grabbed his stuff, and tiptoed away. She couldn’t hear him going, or else she would follow him! Just then, Jack tripped over a rock and started falling down the hill!

Jill heard him going down the hill and immediately took the blindfold off and sprinted after him. But to a great surprise she tripped on the SAME rock, which threw her down the hill, and on Jack! But that’s not the worst part. The worst part is that she broke Jack’s royal crown.

Luckily though, Jack got betrothed to a beautiful princess. Don’t worry, Jill’s side ends happy too! She realized that she only liked Jack for his dazzling good looks, and the fact that he was royalty. She found true love with the baker in town, and they baked bread, pies, and other goods together, and enjoyed them together on the hill where it all began.

No comments:

Post a Comment